How To Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Great Beer Every Time (Fourth Edition)
By John Palmer
Fully revised and updated, How to Brew is the definitive guide to making quality beers at home. Whether you want simple, sure-fire instructions for making your first beer, or you're a seasoned homebrewer working with all-grain batches, this book has something for you. John Palmer adeptly covers the full range of brewing possibilities―accurately, clearly and simply. From ingredients and methods to recipes and equipment for brewing beer at home, How to Brew is loaded with valuable information on brewing techniques and recipe formulation.
A perennial best seller since the release of the third edition in 2006, How to Brew, is a must-have to update every new and seasoned brewer's library.
This completely revised and updated edition includes:
- More emphasis on the “top six priorities”: sanitation, fermentation temperature control, yeast management, the boil, good recipes, and water.
- Five new chapters covering malting and brewing, strong beers, fruit beers, sour beers, and adjusting water for style.
All other chapters revised and expanded:
- Expanded and updated charts, graphs, equations, and visuals.
- Expanded information on using beer kits.
Thorough revision of mashing and lautering chapters:
- Expanded tables of recommended times and temperatures for single-infusion, multiple-step, and decoction mashing.
- Complete discussion of first wort gravity as a function of water to grist ratio.
- Complete revision of infusion and decoction equations.
Revised and updated information on managing your fermentation:
- Yeast pitching and starters.
- Yeast starter growth factors.
- Yeast and the maturation cycle.
- And much more!